Shopping for window treatments is generally something that takes people a long time. They have to go to a showroom, get walked around by a staff member and shown hundreds of different products, visualize the product that’s going to look best in their home, and then finally purchase it. While you might not think that sounds like a lot, the truth is that it can take days and even weeks for some homeowners to actually pick out a window treatment to put up in their home. One of the biggest reasons why it takes so long is that most people actually have a fairly basic understanding of what the different window treatments are. Since they aren’t sure what each type is and how they differ, they’re not able to do any research before they go to the store. Thus, the first time they’re learning about various shades, shutters, and blinds is when they’re in the store, hence it takes them a long time to come to a conclusion about them. To make the process easier for you the next time you go, here are some of the basic differences between various window treatments.
For starters, everyone should have a strong understanding of what shutters are. Shutters are the type of window treatment that you typically see on the outside of the house, the pieces of wood or other material that are on either side of a window running up and down. Originally, window shutters were created so that people could close them over their glass windows to protect the windows from being broken. They were an added security feature and they were good for homes that were in the path of severe storms, i.e. homes in Florida and along the East Coast. Today, they’re primarily used for decoration. People will get window shutters that match the color of their trim or furniture, accentuating the rest of the house. People will even put a form of window shutter inside the home purely for aesthetic purposes.
You also probably have a pretty strong understanding of what window blinds are. They are just pieces of material, either wood, faux wood, aluminum, plastic, or something else that are all connected together with a piece of string. A person pulls on one string and they open and close, and they pull on another and the blinds go up and down. They are primarily for decoration, although they can help a homeowner boost privacy or help them capture/block the light. Window shades are generally just another term for window blinds, although there are shades that look a little bit different, i.e. just long pieces of material that you pull over the window.
These are some pretty basic definitions of what various window treatments are, but you’d be surprised how few people have even this sort of understanding. Hopefully this will help you the next time you’re in a store like House of Blinds and you’re having a hard time finding the product that’s going to look best in your home.
Considering the fact that there are hundreds of millions of homes across the US and all of them have windows, it’s not surprising that there are thousands of stores out there offering custom window coverings. Anything that has to do with the home is going to be a huge market if for nothing other than the sheer numbers. If you sell a product that homeowners have to have, like hardwood flooring, you’re going to have a huge potential market to sell to. Well, the same goes for custom window coverings, and thus there are more such companies in the country than most people know what to do with. While it’s great to have a lot of choices in front of you so you can compare costs and service, it can also be a hassle because you’re left constantly wondering if the company you went with was the best choice. If you were fortunate enough to choose House of Blinds out of Laguna Hills, California, that’s not something you have to worry about.
The first thing that makes House of Blinds the clear choice in Orange County for shades, shutters, blinds, and drapes is their incredible customer service. As soon as you walk through the door and until the moment you leave, one of their talented staff members will work closely with you to help you find the perfect product. They’ll offer their expert advice, answer any questions you might have, and talk to you about the differences in their products. They’ll explain which products last the longest, what the pros and cons of certain products are, and so much more. A huge part of the battle of finding the perfect window treatments is going through all of the options, and having an expert next to you that’s helping you out is really helpful.
The second thing that makes them so great is their incredible experience. In the time that they’ve been open they’ve had over 48,000 installations. There’s just no way you do that many window treatment installations without learning a few things. Their experience enables them to respond to unique and specific situations, and it gives them knowledge that many of their competitors simply don’t have. On top of that, they offer one of the widest ranges of product that you’re going to find. No matter what kind of window treatment you’re looking for, they’ve got it. They carry all types of blinds, shutters, and shades, from different manufacturers to different types.
All of these things combine to make House of Blinds the clear choice for window treatments and custom window coverings in the Laguna Hills area. If you’re interested in seeing for yourself why so many people choose them, or if you just want to check out their incredible inventory, give them a call or stop by their location. There is no doubt that you’ll be blown away by what they have to offer and how friendly and helpful their staff members are. House of Blinds is the premier distributor of window treatments in Orange County for a reason.
In the early part of this country’s history, window coverings had not been put into mass production yet, and so when people wanted to have a set of new window treatments made, they had to call a custom window covering maker to their house for the job. The early years of window treatments were much like the early years of clothing, everything was made exactly to the measurements that were required. Far from the modern window covering industry in which there are thousands of different makers and suppliers, in the olden days there were usually just one or two window covering makers for each neighborhood. The window treatment makers would walk from house to house in the spring to offer their services to the people of the area. As window coverings were once considered more of a luxury than a necessity many families were not able to afford them. If a household was fortunate enough to be able to purchase window coverings they would have to order the fabric from which they were to be made, especially for their homes, as window covering makers rarely had large supplies of materials for potential customers. The choices for different types of window coverings were also very limited. Until the late 30’s, the modern day blinds had not yet even been invented, and to a large extent the only window covering that was available to the average household was the standard curtain covering. Gradually the industry began to become more popular, that coupled with the many advancements made in the textile industry opened up the gateway to a larger scale window covering industry. By the late 70’s the window covering industry had already reached what it would become today.
Modern days window coverings may be made to order in special instances, but the majority of window coverings produced today are made in massive numbers and sold through huge window coverings dealers such as, www.houseofblinds.us. By some estimates, one out of every three window coverings sold in the world today is sold through online sites. Also unlike in the past, modern day window coverings are very affordable. Stores sell blinds and drapes for as low as thirty dollars a set, and even the most affordable window coverings often come with free home instillation. Not only can anyone afford window coverings these days, most people change out their window coverings every couple of years, as it is seen as one of the most cost effective ways to give the house a fresh new look. Window coverings of the past were often made from second hand materials that would fall apart after just a few years, whereas modern window coverings are made to last a lifetime. In fact, the window treatments made these days are so durable that there is a huge market for secondhand window coverings. Many people today prefer to buy their window treatments used because they prefer the styles of yesterday. The window covering industry sure has come along way in a short amount of time.
Modern window coverings are made to be washed. In the past, if you needed to get your window coverings cleaned, the chances are that you would have to take the window covering to a special cleaners that specialized in that type of cleaning. Needless to say, having to take a set of window coverings into the cleaners each time they got dirty was an expensive and tiresome task. In the late 80’s a number of the leading window coverings dealers began to produce window coverings which were specifically designed to be machine washed. While there are of course some window coverings which still can’t be machine washed because they are made of plastic (such as blinds or shutters) or extra fine fabrics, the majority of normal window treatments can go right into the wash these days. The only difference between the modern washable window coverings, and those which had to be washed by hand or chemically washed, is that the window treatment makers started to use machine safe fabrics which allowed for the window coverings to take the beating that a machine wash can give. For homeowners all across the world, the arrival of machine safe window coverings was a huge blessing.
Most of the time, it isn’t even necessary for people to set foot in a store when they need new window coverings. The vast majority of window coverings these days are sold through online sites such as, www.houseofblinds.us, and other online sites like it. The web based sale of window coverings has been the leading method for purchasing different window coverings for almost ten years now, and it only seems that it will become more common as the years go on. Right now there are actually already very few window covering shops that still operate, and even those that do, tend to be nothing but the showrooms for their online stores. Window treatments are cheaper online, not to mention the fact that most online sites offer free delivery on their products, so folks no longer have to worry about how they are going to get the window coverings from the shop to their house. The use of the web to buy blinds and drapes has become so common that there are not a number of clubs that allow avid window covering shoppers to trade out their window covering a certain number of times each year. Most people would agree that the internet has been one of the best things to hit the window covering market since the invention of the plastic shutters.
Window coverings now come with decoration tips included. There is so much fierce competition between different windows covering supplier that many of the leading brands have started to include a free home decoration consultation service if you buy from them. Considering that most home decorators charge between 1 and 5 hundred bucks an hour, this offer really brings a lot of weight to the table for any perspective window treatment shopper. People interested in finding offers that include decoration consultants in the deal can do so by checking out the leading online sites.
Unless you went to college for interior design or you read home renovation magazines and watch home renovation shows, you likely don’t know the first thing about window blinds. Maybe you think that you do, but can you name three different companies that produce these interior design products? If you can’t, you’re likely in the same boat as the rest of us, i.e. the boat full of people that wander into a window treatments store and don’t know where to begin. It’s the same boat where people don’t know which products will look right in their home, which products will help to accentuate their hardwood floors, which products will produce the greatest privacy and which products will help them achieve the perfect lighting in every room of their home.
The truth of the matter is that most people have enough going on in their lives already to have to worry about window treatments as well. People in America are working more hours than ever before while still raising a family, keeping up with the maintenance work around their home and trying to find time to socialize with friends. At the end of the day people simply don’t have enough time to educate themselves on all things window treatments.
Thus, purchasing new window treatments is one of those moments where it’s smart to ask someone else for help. Much like driving through the country lost, purchasing window treatments is a great opportunity to teach your children about the importance of asking for help when you really need it. And when it comes to window treatments, odds are you’re really going to need it. Thus, whenever you’re looking to buy new window blinds or any other window treatment you should always turn to the professionals.
Professionals, like those at House of Blinds, are helpful in more ways than one. First, they will be able to help you find a brand that you’ll like. The most popular manufacturer of window treatments is Hunter Douglas. Well-known for the quality of their products, their great warranties and their designs, they’ve quickly become the dominant brand name in the industry. However, there are plenty of other companies producing great window treatments, so work closely with your professional to find the product that’s perfect for you. Second, these window treatment professionals will be able to help you understand why certain products belong in certain rooms, which products you should choose to improve the lighting in your home and which products will help you draw attention to favorite parts of every room. They can also help you identify the products that are within your price range. The great thing about working with people that really know what they are doing is that it enables you to have any questions you might have answered. In short, working with professionals is the easiest and best way to make sure that the window treatments you end up buying are the best ones for your home. So, the next time you’re looking to buy new window treatments, don’t go it alone: work with the professionals at House of Blinds and make your home really stand out.
If you have a home with a lot of windows and you are not bringing in natural light, you are missing out on a great design feature. Homes with many windows look great when they have window treatments which take advantage of natural lighting. Natural lighting not only looks good, but it also helps to cut down on electric costs and to reduce your own carbon footprint.
If you have a home with a lot of windows, there are many different types of window treatments which will allow you to take advantage of natural light, while also maintaining privacy and protecting your home from harsh weather in cold winter months or hot summer months. Buying new window treatments for a home is something that takes some careful thought and consideration; we have put together this quick guide to help you choose the right window treatments for your home.
- Choose the type of window treatment you want: The first thing to think about is what type of window treatment you want. There is a good chance that you are one of the many Americans who does not know the many different types of window treatments available. Well, there are many and some are better than others if you are trying to optimize your homes natural light. Different styles of window coverings will appeal to different people. There are shutters, shades, roman shades, drapes, blinds, and within each of these categories there are many different types of styles. Since our aim here is to maximize natural light, you will want to consider window treatment options that allow for light to penetrate your home, while also allowing for a level of privacy that you are comfortable with. To bring in natural light, look into window treatment options that light through whether they are closed or open. Shades are a good options, since light can often penetrate even when they are pulled shut.
- Choose what type of fabric you want: If you are choosing drapes or some types of cloth shades for your window treatment, you will need to think about the type of fabric you want. Fabric shades or drapes can be a nice choice if you are aiming to bring light into your home, because light colors will allow the natural light to seep through. If you do not choose fabric window treatments, you will still need to decide on a material. There are many materials available from wood to plastic. The best way to know what material you prefer is to see them yourself, so go out and visit some stores which sell window treatments to see and feel all of the different materials which window treatments come in.
- Get all of your measurements right: This is an important one! Today, more and more people who get new window treatments for their home choose the simple option of ordering online. While this is an easy way to order window treatments (even custom ones), you will need to be very sure you are ordering the right size and shape for your windows. Make sure you understand how to take the right measurements, and measure several times to make sure you’re getting it right.
Unusually shaped windows offer a unique element to your home, but when it comes to finding the right window treatments for them, you will likely find yourself wishing that you stuck to simple square windows which could be outfitted with one size fits all blinds. Fortunately for people with odd sized windows in their homes there are many unique ways to outfit them and many companies who will help to make custom window treatments for odd sized windows.
- For arched windows: Arched windows are a challenge for homeowners trying to find the right window treatments. You do not necessarily want to install something to fit the square/rectangular part of your window and leave the arched part at the top open. Luckily, many companies are now making arched blinds which will work well for many different types of arched windows. Another option is handmade shutters which fill frame the arch nicely.
- For skylights or out of reach windows: What do you do when you have skylights or tall windows which are out of reach? During certain times of the day, these windows can become a nuisance, especially a skylight if the sun is right above it and shining directly into your home. For these type of difficult windows, consider getting electric window treatments which can be either battery operated or plugged in and are controlled by a remote!
- For sliding glass doors: Sliding glass doors not only offer easy access, but are a great way to bring extra light into the home- because of this they are extremely popular. Despite their popularity, sliding glass doors can be a challenge to find good coverings for that allow for privacy, but also bring elegance into your home. A nice looking option for sliding glass doors are vertical blinds, which hang down and can be opened or closed at your convenience.
- For windows with strange angles: Windows with strange angles are popular, especially when people build their own homes and want to add unique design elements to their home, but covering them can be a unique design challenge in and of itself. One option, if you are building a home, is to install angled windows in rooms where they will not need to be covered. This would work in an area of the home where privacy is not an issue and where you will not need to keep out light. If you do have angled windows is a part of the home where window treatments are necessary, you may need to look into custom ordering coverings that fit. For angled windows, shades may be the best choice because they are often made of lighter, delicate materials or even fabric. This will be a relatively inexpensive way to cover your angled windows.
- For large bay windows: Everyone loves a bay window. It brings in a ton of light and looks very elegant. These large windows, however, need to be covered to keep out unwanted light and to keep your home insulated. The best bet for large windows is to go with some simple drapes, which can be pulled back when you want the windows open, or drawn shut when you want more privacy.
To inquire about different types of custom window coverings for any and all types of windows, contact House of Blinds today.